Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things to improve in the menu and battle UI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lourg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game very much so. Just giving my 2 cents to what I have seen in other games I likes.

#2 What I mean by this is if you hit oh lets say the plus sign the game speed increases by this I mean. How fast things move in the game for instance I increase the game speed. Spells and arrows move across the screen faster, mercs move to there new position faster, cpu mercs move faster. On the same token. If you would hit the minus key. The game slows down. I'm sure you have some kind of control in the game engine to trottle how fast things happen in the game. I would like to see something were I as a player have some control over it.

#3 Spells and to a limited degree arrows seam to take a very long time to go from the caster or archer to the target. To me it almost seam like the target could just step out of the way of the incoming projectile.

6. For the cost fireball is nurfed. No AOE, Twice the cost of Firebolt. Little DMG and RNG increase. Have not tried the other spells yet.

Will have to say this game is a great concept and can't wait to see the gold version. Keep up the good work.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 and #2 These go that slow so you'd actually see them move, I doubt many would like them go at a realistic speed (very fast) as you wouldn't basically see what's happening. That #2 would take a while to implement but lets see what others think of it.

#6 Fireball is meant to cost considerably more because even though it isn't even nearly twice as good as Fire bolt, it is still a better spell and a skilled mage will rather use its turn to cast a better than worse spell. It is more balanced that way. The same kind of price (mana cost) increase applies as with the prices and value of a Ferrari and Porsche for example.
lourg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your reasoning for #3 that is why I would like to see #2 added if I want to watch everything I have the option but If I want to speed through thing I can.

#6 How about adding an AoE but with half or even quarter dmg for squares next to the target. The way I look at it I can cast two firebolts which will do more dmg then 1 fireball. So in the long run its better to cast firebolt. The extra 4 range does not help nor does twice the cost.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cast 2 Fire balls in the same amount of time you cast 2 Fire bolts. Mysteryarchs for example don't always need to save mana or the mage could be in danger and you'll only care about the next couple of turns or the enemy would be killed with one Fire ball but not with one Fire bolt.
lourg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I have not tried the Mysteryarchs. A mage that cast the same amount of fireball in the same amount of time would almost be out of mana. I do have the fireball spell as back up incase of emergency but. Its just that a back up spell. To costly for any real use.
jackgouber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the full version yesterday, and one thing I'd like, is a way to improve spell chance to hit, in the training camp, make it very expensive, but my priest for instance, only has a 26% chance to hit with enhanced strength, and I never can land it, I spend a whole battle trying, and it won't land.

Or you could make a smaller increase for each attempt, whether it is succesful or not. Just a thought.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you lourg and jackgouber but please post all non-User Interface related suggestions either as a new topic or if it's a new feature suggestion, to the Gold Version thread.

For now you can for example buy a 50% magic bonus staff for your priest which should help with that spell. You should also only teach spells with a relatively high spell bonus percentage. This feature has been suggested by a few people already and I'll definitely make it as a poll option for the Gold Version. Priests aren't usually good at casting Enchanted strength anyway and they should usually mainly use restoration spells.
aran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A part of the battle interface that needs correction: i move my characters and open the action menu using the numpad, but i have to move over to my mouse in order to select what action i want to take. It'd be great if i could scroll through the attacking options with the up and down numpad arrows. Smile

Also, don't let the sidebars on the right of the screen block off the terrain on the extreme right of the map. I was trying to battle someone on a map with natural advantages on the extreme right, and i had to close the status bars in order to even see my units.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yostage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some suggestions after playing the demo a bit:
Reduce the amount of auto-centering in the battle screen. It's jarring to the player when the camera moves every turn, especially between enemy units. I'd recommend only moving the camera if the newly active character is off screen or really far away from the previously selected character.
Basically, if the main battle is all contained in one screen, the camera shouldn't have to move much at all.

Reduce the number of clicks to do things in the menu UI, especially because of the screen distance between the confirmation dialog and the action buttons. Probably don't even need a confirmation dialog for buying items or bidding, or at least the ability to turn it off. Maybe if the confirmation could be accepted with a keyboard shortcut (I wasn't able to figure one out)

A popup in the battle with all the keyboard shortcuts would be good - otherwise you have to go out to the menu and to the options, which takes loading time for the music, etc.

I really like the game!
dom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to remove animation, often i have gone into battle with a lone ranger against 8 odd enemies, all armed with bows and it taking me while to get to them with all their arrow firing animation. If not there should be an option to remove that.
Heirophant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Yostage's point about the confirm window. It would make actions like mercenary bidding much less hassle if Y/N keypresses were implemented for the confirm buttons.
efr33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I loved the demo (though I'm having some sporadic crash issues) and would definitely buy the game but it moves waaay too slow for me. I think the showstopper is probably the missile animations; if there was some way to turn them off I think the battles would speed up enormously (plus, I always look at the info box to see if they hit and for how much anyways). Let me know if you do make some kind of interface change to skip animations and my money is yours!
Tertsi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

efr33t, Battles of Norghan 2 will surely not have that problem and Battles of Norghan might just get a patch that has such an option. So I suggest you subscribe to the newsletter at www.mitorahgames.com to know when either one is released. Thanks.
spathi4tw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole lot of UI suggestions, so I'm really glad this is still an active post. These are based on the demo, I just purchased the Gold version, but haven't played it yet. Some of these have already been stated in other posts, so take any repeat suggestion as another vote to make the change.

Battle Screen

1. Move the command buttons from the upper left corner of the battle screen to a more standard and accessible location, say the bottom middle of the screen. At the same time double their size, they are really small. Be sure to leave room between the button edge and the screen edge so that it is less likely to accidently scroll when clicking on a button.

2. Display the hotkey that will trigger a command next to the command in the menu or tooltip. The hotkeys make the game ui much smoother and I think it is vital to have them be as accessible as possible when learning the game.

14. Another vote for doubling the spell animation speed (firebolt, poisonbolt, etc.).

Main Clan Menu

3. Mousing over attributes on the character information screen should display a tooltip describing what the attribute does and what it's racial maximum is for the character.

4. Attributes that have hit their racial maximum (and thus can no longer be trained) should be indicated in some way, much the same way that "in use" attributes are currently indicated (i.e. the shield skill number turns red when you have a shield equipped). This would have to be done in such a way that it doesn't conflict with the current red highlighting, possibly a tasteful background color change on the number?

5. Sometimes hitting the 'Start Battle' button doesn't start a battle. It instead flashes some text too quickly to read. I assume that it is telling me that I don't have a battle to fight at this time (a bye week or something of the sort. The text of the button should change to reflect what it is actually going to do, or at the very least the text should hang around a bit longer so I can read it.

6. When I have no units left to train, the Training button should indicate this by being greyed out for example (with an appropriate tooltip indicating why).

13. (guess I shouldn't have numbered these...) The time remaining on a current merc contract should be indicated somewhere. I can't find it anywhere.

Training

7. Clan training should indicate which units will benefit (i.e. haven't hit a cap or don't have a weapon equipped) from the training (or at least how many).

Mercenary Camp

8. Highlighting should be a sortable criteria, though I'm not sure how best to indicate this in the ui.

9. Screen needs scroll bar badly!

10. An item that is both highlighted and selected should still indicate that it is highlighted (right now the highlighting is totally obscured by the selection). This should probably be done with a text background color change.

11. Your current available money should change when you make a bid. Very important to know exactly how much cash I have left to buy equipment when choosing whether or not to bid on a merc.

Spell Purchase

12. When buying a spell, all spells that are not available for purchase because they are already owned should be indicated. Perhaps with a different color of cross-out (red is currently used for not-yet-available items), but better with a background color change or a check mark (so I can still see the line item information. Same could go for equipment, but much more important for spells, since they aren't displayed on the main screen.

Awesome game, keep up the good work. Takes me back to my old Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe days.
licker

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn spammers...

But let me make a real post.

I just want to 2nd the UI improvements spathi suggested. Really helping us see more clearly how the training is going and who is already maxed on training would be a huge improvement. Also his suggestions for the merc camp would be very helpful.

Thanks again for a great game, and I hope the community picks up the boards again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: