Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CustodianV131

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Transferring items Reply with quote

Can I transfer weapons and armor from one merc to another? I know I can sell it, but you lose out big time that way.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, that feature was thought of when designing the game but the feature's usefulness was lower than what it would take to implement. (I can implement more useful features with the same time).
So the only way to transfer an item is to hack the save file.. Wink
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...I was really hopeing to see this feauture in the future. I would love to transfer my old weapons to lesser units (thus saving me gold Razz)
Tertsi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll be running a poll or a few about the additional features of the Gold version and it seems that I should add this as a poll option, however I still don't think you'd vote for it.
CustodianV131

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahh...I was really hopeing to see this feauture in the future. I would love to transfer my old weapons to lesser units (thus saving me gold )

Yeah that's also what was on my mind.

I'm running tight with cash at the moment so that 70% return I get on weapons hurts when I want to pass down weapons to other mercs. Which now means I've to sell the old ones at 70% and rebuy them at 100%. Evil merchants! (Hmmm *wonders or the devs get a % of this* Very Happy )

Maybe it will get easier later when you've more cash to spare. Well I hope to see that when I reach it Smile

Tertsi wrote:
Well I'll be running a poll or a few about the additional features of the Gold version and it seems that I should add this as a poll option, however I still don't think you'd vote for it.

Looking forward to the gold version, take your time with it and make the upgrade worth it. A few months of player feedback have never hurt a game. Good modding tools and more streamlined gameplay do look very appealing for sure!
Iceblade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transferring items would be a very useful feature, please don't underestimate this in game development.
Can't count the gold i've wasted on selling and rebuying items,
and secondly, when a character isn't supposed to join battle, he also shouldn't have to sit on his items.
Think its wrong to chain characters to items, the development of the clan is central, not the development of single characters,
so they should be able to give items to each other.
Andrew Williams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have images now of "UFO: Enemy Unknown" (first of the Xcom series). Assigning troops and weapons to the Skyranger and then handing out the rifles before you begin combat...

Though an interesting idea, I think the concept of buying/making items into a central pool and then assigning/deassigning them to individual units as per your own wishes may be too much effort. I get the impression it would involve rewriting a few core routines.

On the plus side...

* Items can be transferred between units.
* Items are not automatically sold when a unit contract expires, and can hence be reassigned to new/existing units.
* Rare items can be introduced - limited stock items such as powerful weapons and armour.
* Ammunition constraints are feasible, and may counterbalance the powerful ranger units.

Opinions?
Paul_G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit more than just an interesting idea... it's pretty important and kind of illogical not to have it.

It's currently useless to hire anyone other than a mage or cannon fodder for anything less than a membership contract if you're above division 8. The overhead that you would lose in equipment costs makes it pointless to try and equip a couple of guys short term to get you past a tough battle, and limits the ai's ability to do the same.

Without this ability, we're not emphasizing character development. A mediocre character with great equipment will crush a great character with mediocre equipment. So we're emphasizing just buying crap to hang on your player.

If this was implemented, we wouldn't see so many AI teams going bankrupt, because of the money saved over time in equipment costs. Right now I regularly see AI teams tear up divisions 6,7, and 8, then have one bad year and they're gone. That shouldn't happen, and it wouldn't happen so much if the equipment was sorted out.

Plus it's logical - The player isn't buying the equipment, the team is. The player doesn't even keep the equipment on them when they leave. It doesn't make much sense to not have an option as to what to do with the stuff.

I don't see it being THAT hard. It's not like we're talking about a total re-write here. Hell, if it is too much work then just scrap the 30% penalty that you pay for selling back equipment.

Though you realize we'll never see a change like this. We're just chatting for the sake of chatting here... Sadly, I think this game is about done with.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we won't do any more big changes to the game soon because of our huge task list, we might have some time for these changes later on, or at least we'll take them into account if we make a multiplayer sequel or an expansion later. So keep on suggesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: