Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you want to control more units in the beginning?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Beta testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Do you want to control more units in the beginning? Reply with quote

Currently most players recruit only one mercenary and don't recruit more on the first year unless they happen to get enough gold to do so.

Having only one or few units in the beginning will make the battles seem a lot more simple and a lot less tactical than what they will be when it gets to 10+ vs. 10+. Then again it can be good to start simple but at least the low divisions' clans currently grow quite slowly. So currently you have to play simple battles for quite a while.

If you win more gold, you would probably just buy better equipment to the units, so just giving more gold to the clans wouldn't solve the problem.

To start with more units, some new rules which might seem stupid would have to be made.
Most of these would be required to achieve this:
* 5 times the normal starting gold, reduce the % of growing starting gold per division. (So that high division clans wouldn't get a way too big pile of gold.)
* More winning gold.
* All clans must recruit at least 5 units with long-term contracts before the first battle.
* Max long-term contract bids would have to increase from 4 to 5+ and more mercenaries would have to be made available at start-up.
* Low division clans would not be able to buy top equipment, many spells nor top spells for the first few years.

Does doing these changes seem like a good idea and worth-while to you and if so, would you still want to be able to choose if you want to start with the current "start simple" mode or this mode?

Last edited by Tertsi on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buckles
Mitorah Games Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by having more units at start-up, it would allow the game to be played how I think it should be; more strategically and thoughtfully. However, playing with only one unit to begin with is a good option for those who are new to the game. Ive found that dealing with a number of characters in a battle can require practice, and those new to the game may be turned off by this.

But in truth, I like the idea of the new rules. The game is more strategy than RPG, and should be played as thus Razz

-s
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a pretty good idea on the whole.

This would give the user more action, and hopefully increase the diffucutly a little bit (before Division 5 its pretty easy, except in Glory Cup (Div 5/6)).

I like the idea of limiting lower level clans on items, because in reality the low teams would be decked out with amazing equipment (otherwise they wouldn't be that low). Maybe for Division 7/8 you could limit (Six you kinda need to be able to buy, if you ever want a chance in Glory Cup).

5 Units at the start seems a bit much (especially for the beginner). I know when I first played, it took me a little bit to get used to the battles and having to control 5 Units right off would have been a very steep learning curve. I'm not sure a better solution for this, maybe having a minimum of 2 or 3 to start (2/3 I feel the user could handle better, while still giving more action/strategy than just 1 Unit). Also, maybe you could even start each clan with a "Random" Unit that has a Year Contract (or even a Membership), that way you wouldn't have to waste all your money on Long Contracts? Such as start Battle Dwarves with a Fighter/Dwarf, then instead of having to get 3-5 Long Contract Units, they could get Less/Shorter contracts to start? (But I see the downfall with this, is that people could just use the short contract then ditch the units).

Overall I'm kinda torn, begin the New/Old Ways. I think a nice mix would be best, while not forcing the player to do to much in ways of recruting (You want to manage your team how you like, not be forced to do it as others want, like your the Coach/Owner). But probaly limiting the available items, therefore people will recruit more, instead of going for those awesome items. (You could even slowly "Unlock" the items, after going up a division until you get to 4 or so, then have all Unlocked or something).

These just my thoughts! Smile

Good Luck,
Dustin (Atma)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Beta testing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: