Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battles of Norghan 2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions, here's an idea I thought of that's vaguely similar to the injuries suggestion. I thought of it because me and my friends think that injuries are pretty annoying for this type of game. (We've played with them.)

When resurrecting a unit right after it died or before the next battle, it costs 2 * normal amount.
- When resurrecting after 1 more battle, it costs 1.5 * normal amount.
- When resurrecting after 2 more battles, it costs normal amount.

The actual factors might be increased or decreased after testing it though.

Did you mean something like 6d10 when stating AP based dice system? If so, such a system is already simulated in BoN.

I too thought of the race upgrade idea but overall thought that it isn't worth it. I don't remember all the details why.

Now I have to reveal that there will be heroes in BoN 2. (Max one per clan, probably always one unless you disable heroes). Perhaps nearby units could get a morale bonus indeed. Other than that, adding a morale variable makes vaguely visible skill decreases/increases, making true skills of a unit harder to judge unless two numbers would be shown per skill which would clutter.

BoN 2 battles will probably be much harder tactically and much less repetitive. Still not as hard as Chess. But if someone has something to say about this, I'll listen.

I do also take note of suggestions that I don't comment, of course.
Xhaos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget my idea with the AP system. I thought about it last night, but as I went to post, I lost it.

I can see why the injury system would get annoying, but what about fatigue?

The addition of Heroes sounds sweet!!

I think a race/ class upgrade system could work, but it would have to have alot of limits. Like, only after a unit hits a certain number of star points, then maybe it can get Champion status, or some other bonus.

What about adding limited ranged ammo??

Chess is hard, but its moves are limited. In chess, each piece has a limited range and purpose, in BoN, due to weapon upgrades, race, and skill, there are way more options tactically.

How is the battle system in BoN2 going to change? (if you are waiting to discuss this, I understand)

I am really excited about the next version.

When I play '1' on my laptop, my CPU goes nuts and all my fans kick it in high gear, but it plays well, so whatever.

Are you going to redo the terrain graphics and unit graphics???
Xhaos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahaha, I just re-read my last post. I sound like a 7 year old with all of the questions, jumping around subjects, and random information! LOL!

I should edit it, but I got to go. sorry.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xhaos wrote:
I can see why the injury system would get annoying, but what about fatigue?
- Do you mean that units would have stamina and move less per turn after a while?

Xhaos wrote:
What about adding limited ranged ammo??
- This is already in the design doc.

Yes, there are perhaps more move possibilities in BoN but their effect aren't even nearly as important as a chess move's. That will change more or less.

Xhaos wrote:
How is the battle system in BoN2 going to change? (if you are waiting to discuss this, I understand)
- The changes are so vaste and the ideas located in so many places that it'll take a while before it'll be a good time to start putting them together and 'release' them for discussion.

Xhaos wrote:
When I play '1' on my laptop, my CPU goes nuts and all my fans kick it in high gear, but it plays well, so whatever.
- The engine just tries to render the frames as fast as it can even if that means 500 FPS, thus isn't very energy saving but BoN2 one will be.

Xhaos wrote:
Are you going to redo the terrain graphics and unit graphics???
- We'll see, but there will be unit animations. Smile
Xhaos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Do you mean that units would have stamina and move less per turn after a while?

Yes, sort of, or if a unit is constantly attacked. But there is such a fine line between this and an injury system.

Also, what about adding an Ironman game mode??
You get a certain amount of money, (maybe depending on game mode)
and when a unit dies, Its done. Gone for the remainder of the game.No resurrections. This will apply to the AI teams also. Could be interesting and challenging, and also add some nice replay value.

I was going to mod some textures and show you, but something tells me that the .bon files arent just renamed .zip files. I mostly have done mods for HPS sims games( here is some of my early work http://www.nolessthaneverything.com/wargaming/) ,
but I really wanted to play around with BON graphics.
Is BoN2 going to be moddable?
Tertsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Ironman mode would require quite some work and testing on clan management AI but it sounds interesting so we'll see.

I've played HOMM a lot so I know what you mean. You don't need to show me that thing. Smile

If you have the Gold Version of the game (so that you can affect gameplay too and not just graphics) and you're willing to try to make a mod that I can release to the public, I can give you a .bon resource extractor. Such a mod would require serious work though. This goes to everyone else too of course.

BoN 2 will be at least as modifiable as BoN 1 but I don't know if graphics will be, yet.
Xhaos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi wrote:

I've played HOMM a lot so I know what you mean. You don't need to show me that thing. Smile

uh, I dont know what you mean. What was I going to show you?

I do have the Gold version.
Can you send me the resource extractor? My email is in my profile.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to:

"*. Separate the Store / training interface. Maybe have a HOMM type
screen where ....
(I was gonna try to make a sample for you, but I cant get into the .bon
files!!!!!) "

Okay, I've sent it now. Have fun! Smile
Xhaos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks! Will play with it in a few hours.

I have a few more suggestions.

I had a pretty intense battle yesterday, 20 on vs my 10, but they had 5 mintours and when my mintour wa sin th mix, I coulnd tell which on he was so easily.
Maybe there can be some visual method to represent who is on your team?

Also,
How about a rewards system. Aside from Gold.
Like when A unit hits 500K star points, he gets one free training?
or when a clan wins its division, or goes undefeated for a season, it gets a special weapon or armor.
I also think there should be a special reward for winning the first division, like a rare unit joins your clan at a discount.

I always think that there should be a some sort of reason for getting somewhere and finishing a game, aside from the feeling of accomplishment.

Maybe there can be a forum here where we upload / post our best mercs with their kill stats and star points
Tertsi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those are in some way in the design doc already..
Xhaos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great news!

See you in 10 days.
Taking a little vacation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: