Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tertsi: a few technical (programming related) questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Tertsi: a few technical (programming related) questions. Reply with quote

did you write your own UI system or did you use the skeleton of an existing system that you heavily modified?

I have been wondering why you chose to attempt to stray so far from standard UI practises and organization. I get the feeling that if you made this game more windows-like in it's interface, it'd be much more user friendly. I can imagine that with a modern language with C# or Java you could make BoN have essentially the same functionality and speed while using a well implemented/designed GUI library.

I'm interested to see why, being an independent game developer with some great tools at your fingertips, you decided to take the hard (and ugly) way out when it comes to interface design and implementation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply wanted to use something fast with my own coding style and since I practically already had it made before starting the project I didn't bother looking for alternatives. The UI did not need to be any more complex than that and with the current BoN code I would be able to improve the UI just as well.

But now I'm working on a game engine (some parts of the engine are derived from an existing engine and a few from the BoN one) which is much better and more robust for our future games...
aran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for your response. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: