Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mod ideas, anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul_G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Mod ideas, anyone? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting back into this game, but before I do I want to mod it up a little bit to balance things out.

What I'm planning on doing is the following:

1. Replacing elves. Their virtual immortality prevents a team from ever having to replace an elf, and their archery unbalances the game. I'm planning to replace them with a 'Cavalier'... a melee type similar to a knight, except faster and specializing in a long sword and shield.

2. Make all melee classes specialize in one or two weapons and have them be at 0 in the others... this makes them cheaper to buy.

3. Reduce everyones career length by 50% - So say a character type now competes from age 18-40. I'll have that same character retire at 29. This means that top teams won't have quite as much of a character and money advantage, since top players will retire and money spent on top equipment won't always come back.

But I don't want to re-invent the wheel either. Surely many of you have tried different things to tinker with game balance... what type of things have you tried? And what was the ultimate effect? Did it work?
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ideas sound good to me. I haven't played in awhile, so I can't remember a lot of things Sad.

But 1!!! Must be reduction of Archery Abilities. I'd also like to see a boost in melee fighting, which determines the battle more.

Also, its a very good idea about the career length. I never thought of that before, nice job. I'll let you know if I think of any other ideas. (Class time, so in hurry). Smile
Paul_G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

Getting rid of elves has seemed to help. Elves are now 'cavaliers', fast melee units. Of course, I'm still in division 6, so I can't make a judgement on the true effect of this yet.

But I'm thinking that I'm going to be facing archers, who weren't as good as elves and aren't too common, and melee types who just happen to have bows. So hopefully that will tone down archery. I've also reduced the max starting distance to 28, with a 0 for 'minimum distance to range attack', or whatever that was called.

I might reduce the max distance even further though, to 20. What's good is that summoners actually have some use now... creatures they summon can actually get involved in the battle without the caster getting obliterated.

With career length, that 50% thing only applied to races with normal lifespans. I decided not to apply the same rule to everyone. Elves now only have a career of 10 years - in their description I put that the games are, 'just a part of their cavalier training process', and I think even Drakes stick around for no more than 25 years or so. I haven't adjusted the career lengths of spellcasters at all... I want powerful spellcasters.

Of course, I won't know how all this will pan out for sure until I compete against the best teams, but it's off to a good start.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Keep us updated on how it goes so we can think about implementing some of your ideas in some form in a patch or to BoN 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: