Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thunderstorms - irritating in so many ways.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Williams

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Thunderstorms - irritating in so many ways. Reply with quote

I hate thunderstorms. Not the normal kind, which I rather enjoy (unless I'm out in them) but the Norghan spell, Thunderstorm.

I tried it out a while ago and found it highly irritating. For one thing, every turn the view kept shifting and I got rather disorienting. I managed to move units in totally wrong directions because of this. Secondly, the one victim my thunderstorm killed was one of my own troops, rendering it a rather unfortunate waste of both a turn and a fair wedge of mana.

I've recently come into battle against a second division team in a cup match (I'm in division 5). To my dismay they cast Thunderstorm. TWICE. As a result every turn the view centres on a unit, then moves to some obscure spot of the landscape, then another obscure spot, before returning to the fray. This seems to confuse the AI clan as well as me because they often didn't move that turn.

Annoying as this is, it is as nothing compared to some of the bugs I have encountered. One, which I think has been noted previously, is that lightning bolts occasionally strike empty spaces and announce " has been killed". (That's right, a blank space is killed. How we mourn...)

More worrying however is the way that, on one occasion, the computer decided to cast a spell while the lightning was still striking. The spell cast was "magical punch" (it could be worse, it could have been a third storm) and it was aimed at my one and only Drake. Said Drake would have survived this insult under ordinary circumstances.

But no!

As the punch was materialising, a lightning bolt struck down at an enemy unit (I forget which). I briefly smiled at the thought of such an own goal but then - horror! - my Drake disappeared in a ball of blue fire! For some reason, casting a spell at my unit had made the lightning bolt from Thunder Storm kill the wrong one!!!

The fun doesn't end there. I've been forced to quit that battle because I was unable to move the next unit, one of my minotaur melee fighters. There is no response to right clicks. A clue came from trying to click on 'target nearest enemy unit' - it told me to wait until magical effects were finished before trying that icon. And somewhere near the spot my Drake was bizarrely killed, a disembodied magical punch graphic (that flying fist) still sat, unmoving.

Solutions:
(1) Remove the Thunderstorm spell. But then I do rather dislike it!

(2) Force the computer to (quite rightly) wait until magical effects are finished before doing anything. Ensuring that the player cannot do things like move when the screen is shifting would also be sensible.

As to what made this bug occur, I can only speculate. Over to you guys...
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer HAS been coded to wait until the magical effects end, something in that case was messing it up. Thank you for reporting and we'll look into the problem.
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the camera shouldnt change whenever a thunder bolt comes down, it's very annoying
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can get very annoying, I agree. I hate trying to move and it jumps off. I agree, either take out Thunder Storms, or change where you can't still move until it strikes (I've moved on accident before). :p

Only reason haven't really mentioned is because I rarely encoutner Thunder. Never learn spell would drive me nuts if I used to often :p
Tertsi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what, have the thunder bolt slam your unit behind your back?
I don't quite get how it would be better not knowing where it hit.
Once you get used to it, you won't accidentally move.
While obviously something should be done about it, do you guys have more suggestions?
Andrew Williams

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that, under the current system, the lightning strikes occur just after your unit is selected. It's like:

Enemy move
Your move - Interrupted.
Okay, now you can go.

It would be neater all round if things went:

Enemy move
Lightning strike
Your move.

Basically, have the lightning etc strike BEFORE the game centres on your unit. Once the effects are all done, THEN you get "Andrew's Army's Turn" appear (yes, I actually named a team that once).
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi wrote:
And what, have the thunder bolt slam your unit behind your back?
I don't quite get how it would be better not knowing where it hit.
Once you get used to it, you won't accidentally move.
While obviously something should be done about it, do you guys have more suggestions?
alright, then make it so the thunder strikes BEFORE your unit is selected. Either one works.
eternal_dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, hehe, I think the best thing to do is to take out thunderstorm altogether. I have 3 main reasons for this:

1. It is annoying, and delays the game; nearly doubles the time it takes for a battle to finish.

2. Thunderstorm lets stupid teams kill units of an insanely pro clan. I've personally had my best unit killed by a thunderstorm, when I was in division 1 while the opposing clan was in division 5!!! Evil or Very Mad

3. It simply isn't going to be used by human controlled clans. You could do a poll rite now, and I'm pretty sure ppl would vote it down. This means that only computer clans would use this annoying spell, when most ppl won't even consider casting it.

But if taking thunderstorm out is too drastic a measure, then I'd suggest limiting the damage it deals to possibly 10 damage?
Or another possibility is to have no cinematic for the "thunder" strike. Instead, the screen would only center on a unit when it is killed by the thunderstorm. Meanwhile, there's still the sound of the thunderstorm to let the player know that the spell is still in effect; just play the sound, don't play the video of the lightning striking the ground at random spots.

Hope this helps.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thunder storm bug is now fixed (in version 1.023 and later) and the way the thunder strikes work was changed according to the Andrew's suggestion.
Iceblade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best fix for thunderstorm spell would surely be to take it out of the game.
Bit of unpredictability is always exiting, but leaving course of battle to pure chance doesn't fit at all to RPGs,
especially not to turn-based ones.
Please release us from this crap spell!
SeanD

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy playing Battles of Norghan, but one thing I absolutely hate, and has me frothing at the mouth, is when that god-awful Thunderstorm is either cast (for all the reasons already listed in this thread).

What's worse, is when the game kicks Thundertorm off naturally if the game is taking too long.

I use a lot of lightly-armored archers and elves, and sometimes the heavily armored bad guy is ONLY going to be killed if I hit him with enough ranged head shots. When we're down to one on one, and my strategic choice of having lighter more mobile archers against heavily plated opponents finally proves itself, it takes a while to kill the bad guy. I'm guaranteed to kill him if he's going 2.5-3.5, and I'm going 4.5-5.5. It just takes time (my time, not yours) to kill him, usually requiring several head shots at a very low %s.

Yet the time-killing, disorienting Thunderstorm works to kill the tactical advantage I've gained by having lighter, less effective, and more expensive armor.

I enjoy BoN, and usually play it for a while, think about paying and upgrading, but it isn't long before I encounter that spell, get pissed off, and simply click off the game and go play Warcraft instead.

You should pay attention to your users/customers, and get rid of that spell. Players would never, ever choose that spell.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our next bigger update of any sort, the spell will be removed.
Zorro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to remove the Thunderstorm spell from the game. But can you please tell us when the next patch (BoN without Thunderstorm) will be released ?
Tertsi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably won't be a patch that removes this spell but BoN 2 or an expansion or something like that would remove it.

The reason is that it would take a while to remove this spell because it is so deeply integrated and new bugs might come up if I removed it. I might however remove the auto casting of it from human vs. computer or human battles in the next patch. The auto casting occurs only if it has taken too long since the last kill though.

There have been patches since I said that and the next patch will be out in a few weeks or months, I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: