Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Final Fantasy Mod Reply with quote

I'm planning on creating a Final Fantasy Mod (including games: 1(Nes) 2, 3, 5 Mystic Quest(SNES), 7, 8, 9, Tactics (PSX), and 10 (PS2).

My plans are:

-First Names
-Last Names
-Clan Names (Still waiting for excat file that the names are programmed in, to save me a lot of time looking through the hex, so I can edit them all to either A) FF Town/Country Names or B) Mixture Town/Organizaitons, I'm thinking more A though.
-Equipment (and Stats)
-Units (More FF Style Names)

And if possible (thought I'm going to have to talk with Tertsi about the possiblity of changing:
-Spells
-Unit Graphics

This will be my update thread, and I won't release anything for it, until its 100% Complete.

What are you thoughts for this? (I used Final Fantasy, because very popular, and enough games to collect a lot of names, items, etc..)
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better make sure that doesnt go against copyright in any way. since this is payed for, it might coutn as a violation.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It indeed might cause legal trouble so unfortunately we can't help you in any way with that mod unless you don't use any copyrighted material which you don't own in the modification.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I planned on using was the names really (not like graphics or anything), so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be copyright breach. You can't really copyright a name can you? Ex. Figaro, while a town in FF3, it could easily be a town in Texas. So can't really copyright that. Same with names (and it wouldn't be excat combo's of names, cause First/Last Seperate).

Do you think these would be ok? If not I'll just do a different mod, because I'm really wanting to get in and modify the Clan Names, and possibly mess around with the graphics. (Would be much easier knowning which files I would need to look at).

Thanks! Smile
Oggy
Mitorah Games Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. I am not too into Final Fantasy but I am sure lot of people would like to see that. FFVIII ending is just marvelous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, well, names are fine, but if trademarked you cant say that theyre original, and have to give square enix credit in credits or whatever.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True they wouldn't really be original. I had planned on giving credit. It seems to many issues. I suppose I'll think of something more original, maybe a community based mod. Where people each give me some input into Clan Names (maybe like 5 each, or something), I'll try and think of something original and fun. Smile

EDIT: Thinking about it, I don't really see this being a problem. Because if you look at games such as the Civilization Series. People make scenarios for all these games based on books, movies, and other games (I've seen some Lord of the Rings, Couple of Books, etc...) and there has been no problem. So I think I might go ahead and try this, and just give Square-Enix credit. And just require people to request from me if Tertsi would rather not have on forums. (Mostly for myself, since I'm a pretty big FF player). Just have yet to find where the Clan Names are stored in all the code Sad.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Names like Cloud and Final Fantasy are definitely trademarked, so those you wouldn't be able to use whether you give credit or not without a permission. However if you figure out what names are trademarked and don't include those I might be able to help.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I'll abandon the Final Fantasy one then, and do a community mod.

Going to start a new thread about it, so hopefully help can be given now Tertsi. (And get the community involved). Smile
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id liek to help making clans but soemone doesnt ahve those as easily editable as text files for gold Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: