Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Specter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Strategy Reply with quote

I am at work where I can't play so I thought I would start a little strategy discussion. I haven't played for long but this is what I have noticed so far.

Focus all fire on one enemy till dead. Wounded enemies aren't degraded enough to balance the advantage of eliminating one.

Magic rules at least in the early game. The ability to deal ranged damage and ignore armor is huge and casters aren't that expensive. It seems that elves will be very valuable with ability to become archers to fill in after mana runs out.

Orcs are better than I expected lots of hits and archery ability are a tough combo. Cheap too.

My basic strategy so far is to get one heavy troop for a shock absorber (curently giant). Give them the best armor and weapon I can afford . Then back them up with casters. When you can afford it buy bows for the casters. I fill in with whatever I can afford.

I have lost one early battle to date. I only had one wizard and one equiped troop. I failed to notice the enemy had an acher in plate with top notch weapons and bow. I used up all my mana mowing down the rest of his army and by the time I got to him my shock troop was badly wounded. Once the shock troop dropped the rest of my army was helpless against the heavy armor. My wizard got him down to almost dead before he chewed through my entire clan but could not get enough mana back for that final shot.

Looking forward to hearing some of your strategies and battle stories
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself starting out, I like to go Melee early game. I usally get a Knight/Rouge combo (Rouge can double as Archer), and then some little weak units like Goblin or something (Just so I can get my 2 "Main" Units well equipped).

I'm currently in 3rd Division, with an army of: 2 Minotar(sp?), 1 Knight, 1 Rouge, 1 Archer (just bought, but bought him best Long Bow (Moved up Division and Semi's Glory, bit saving = Lot Gold), 1 Mysteryarch (Awesome, can cast about anything at a high %, attack/effect), 1 Priest (2 Orc - 1 Battle Contract to take damage if need be).

I'm 74-7 (4 Losses in Glory Cup, very hard when you get paired Division 1/2 Teams (I did beat a Div1 once, lucky) up to this point (Normal Difficulty Game Mode B, class is boring so I calculate my records lol), so I like my combo. But as you get closer to top divisions, you'll almost have to switch to range, as their archers can take out my entire team.

Also I finally hired out a Drake for a battle, and I was incredibly impressed, if I had the money I would definately get one. They won a battle for me (against a Division 1 team, i hired out a bunch guys before battle, Drake was only 1 of 2 units to live). His breath is awesome, killing 2 units at once (if in a line).

As for elf I was going to recruit some, but conflicts with my Rouge (who only has like 4 years, but he's awesome had since beginning, with 98 Melee Fighting and like 90 Blocking (My Knight is 98/9Cool. Once he retires I going to get some Elves and Archers (Elves are $$$), and bulk up on some Melee.

I've been focusing more on improving units instead of getting new ones, thats why my 4 melee units are all 70+ Melee Fighting/Blocking (and all still 10+ years until retire except Rouge).

Most Recommened Units: Drake / Mysteryarch
Iron Specter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you definately have the experience on me. I am only 7 and 1 on b and default setting. Still I learned from that one cocky loss and am more careful about scouting my targets in advance now. I am definately putting a Mysteryarch on my to acquire list. I am anxious to try some spells beside the same onld fire bolts and ice bolts. I need to get home and play some now Twisted Evil .
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't even use Ice/Fire/Poison Bolts. With my MystArch, I've focus him more on Status Spells to beef up my Melee Badboys (Giants Strength, Stoneskin, Combat Eye), with my Priest giving Bless = God Like! Smile (Thought I do have Fireball and Chain Lighting, I almost never use Chian Lighting, I think for its overrated for its price, but Fireball is a much better attack spell IMO).

I bet getting some druids/witches though would be good for Status, but my Arch now has such high % chances of casting the spell I would rather use him for that and let me Melee/Archers mop up.
Andrew Williams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd share my experiences now that I'm doing so well. Today I won the Small Clans cup - with great ease!

My team consists of five Members (two archers, two minotaurs and a mysteryarch). I started with the Mysteryarch on his own (backed up by some 1-battle goblins at first to allow me to buy equipment and spells). I then fought bravely and got killed a lot, but generated some cash for every kill I made. My mysteryarch now has 99% success rate on firebolt spells and pretty good rates for some other spells.

Occasionally I get some extra support by summoning a Cerberus. Those things are fast and dangerous when they have a target. I like them.

The minotaurs are my melee badboys. Both are well armed, well armoured and well trained. They can kill weaker enemies in one blow and make even stronger ones wet themselves in terror. Couple that with my mysteryarch's stone skin spells and they can wreak havoc, with a few firebolts chucked in for good measure. I can also give them Healing if need be, or Cure negative effects, but I seldom need to bother.

The archers are relatively new and still rather haphazard with their accuracy, but both battle experience and intensive Archery training are helping. As are the new, big, bad bows I've bought them. I'm now reaching the point where those Firebolts are less important.

I've also got a Drake. Only for one battle, so he's permanently unselected at the moment; I'm saving him for the next division. I'll need him against any foes with real power. Currently I'm facing lots of Division 7 ninnies and seldom even suffer casualties now. I haven't lost a battle this entire season and will be playing very badly if I do in the remainder of it.

As for Chain Lightning spells - I've experienced this spell in the past with a mysteryarch who came with it. Useful against groups of enemies but best avoided when your melee troops are in there as it isn't very selective. I've also tried Thunder Storm - not only is it near useless (in about thirty lightning strikes it hit one unit - one of mine) but the constant jumps around the arena as bolts land is incredibly irritating.

Roll on next season, when I'm bidding for another mysteryarch. Though he'll be nothing on my current one, of course.

Andrew.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a new one...Mode B, Custom Diff (+1 AI). I've tried a new combo. 1 Aragon (now Mint instead), 1 Mysterarch, 1 Wizard(ArchMage), 1 Priest.

I'm loving this, because I can hit from afar early in game, (I find bows weak early game, mad strong in late game). And spells are rather cheap. But its a must to have a "Meat" or Frontline Fighter to give/take damage while your wizards kick some butt. (The Minotar is much better than Aragon in this department). While the Priest gives some Bless/Stone Skin to my Fighter. Currently I have about 15k saved up, waiting to get Membership with my Wizard. (Only my Priest is Member, others I keep getting for year until can afford hehe).

With +1 AI I went:
9-1 Div 8 (2nd, cause Kills/Death ratio barley -_-); 3-1 (2nd Cup)
10-0 Div 8 (4-0 Won Cup)
5-1 Div 7 (4-0 Won Cup) <--Current (Lost 1, out of blue to 2nd place time, I killed them 4-0 last time, underestimated them big time, they built up I guess, beat me like 3-4 or something (they had like 6 guys). Though I have like 15k so I could have easily won Razz).

I think this combo would have worked better if I would have got a Minotar or something stonger instead of Aragon.

I figure I'll play as long as can (I still have other save, but AI gets stuck in Div 2, so waiting for patch).

Next time going to go Max AI i think (I like my 100% earnings though lol).

Last edited by AtmaVegeta on Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Iron Specter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are trying out my strategy ATM. I want to start agian and try to be more picky in my bidding than my first try. I haven't played much lately though because the game keeps crashing. It even reboots me sometimes. Says it is a driver error but all my drivers are the latest models. nvidia and direct x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: