Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favourite races and clan's race combinations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Your favourite races and clan's race combinations Reply with quote

All races have a rival race. So if you for example choose to recruit human priests, you can't recruit imps which are the rivals of the human priests.
The compared races are all rivals of each other.

Even as the designer of the game, I do not know which combination of races I should try to recruit for my clan but I do have my favourite race picks which I'm including here.

Aragans vs. Minotaurs - While Aragans could be better than Minotaurs, they are quite rare so I prefer the strong minotaurs.

Knights vs. Black Knights - I slightly lean towards knights as they tend to be a little better with shields. However which one I choose of these depends mainly on what's available in the mercenary camp.

Giants vs. Goblins - I think my choice is obvious here. While Goblins are very cheap, they are also crap. So while they are sometimes useful, they aren't useful in the long run.

Elves vs. Rogues - Both races are very versatile and the elves are even more versatile because they can be rangers, mages and fighters but they are expensive so I usually end up recruiting rogues when I can't afford elves.

Drakes vs. Centaurs - If only I could afford a drake, I'd certainly recruit one. So I end up recruiting centaurs which is also one of the best races in the game. I recommend saving for drakes later on in the game.

Priests vs. Imps - Good usage of priests requires good tactics. Even though imps can fly over obstacles and move faster than most races, I tend to prefer priests cause of their unmatched healing skills.

Dwarves vs. Orcs - I don't favour either one here, but dwarves are generally better but also more expensive and slower.

Mountain trolls vs. Archers - I love the brutal mountain trolls, even if it means I can't recruit the base ranged units, archers. However if you choose to recruit mountain trolls, you should at least have rogue rangers.

Druids vs. Witches - The ability to pray mana faster combined with the ability to lure creatures to fight by your side makes me like the druids more, but I would guess that the witches who can cast the deadly spell 'Tear from inside' can be better in the long run.

Barbarians vs. Mysteryarchs - This is a tough decision to make. Mysteryarchs are significantly better, rarer and more expensive. I usually end up buying barbarians first and then switch to mysteryarchs when my gold chest permits that and my barbarians' contracts expire.

Ogres vs. Wizards - Which one I choose of these depends solely on the game status, but because the ogres are rare, I usually end up recruiting wizards.

Figuring out which race you truely prefer will take more than just a couple of gaming sessions so I don't think many of you will be able to reply to this thread just yet but it could be interesting to read which races the designer prefers over what.

This post will likely soon be linked to from the tips page of the website.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragans vs Minotaurs
I personally got with Minotaurs just because I see then more often at Camp. They are very powerful units, and I'm currently using two in my Clan right now. One that I've trained up can kill in One Hit pretty easy. I've never used and Aragan though.

PICK: Minotaurs

Knights vs Black Knights
I always go Knights here. They seem to be a bit more than Black Knights. It seems they are better attackers to me. I think this is personal choice mainly, I prefer Good Characters! Smile

PICK: Knights

Giants vs Goblins
Giants always. I don't remember ever using a goblin. While they are very cheap, they are very weak. You could possible turn one into a pretty good Ranged Unit, but their low HP makes then very sorry Melee Units. Giants are very powerful unit, thought I really don't use them either. I would prefer then over Goblins unless you need more Cheap Range or units to take Focus while your "Main" Unit goes in for the kill.

PICK: Giants

Elves vs. Rogues
I always go Rouges. I've never bought an Elv Unit. Rouges are fast, accurate units good at Melee or Range. I always have them as Melee though. While compared to some Units their strength is weak, they make up for it in Speed and Hit Ability. I think elves would be better at range, so if you want Range go elf, if you want the choice of Melee/Range go Rouge.

PICK: Rouges

Drakes vs. Centaurs
I've never bought, nor seen a Drake in action, but judging by Stats/Spells I would definately like to obtain one. Their big negative is very Expensive. I don't use Centaurs either really, but they make pretty good Range from fighting against them. If I had to pick would be Drakes (if had money).

PICK: Drakes

Priests vs. Imps
Priests without a doubt. I love their healing/proctection abilities. If you want a Magic User, there are others instead of Imps that are just as good or better, and you don't need to give up your prime healing unit.

PICK: Priests

Dwarves vs. Orcs
I don't use either really. Dwarves are to slow for my liking, while Orcs aren't overly powerful or great. I would probaly go Orc just because of the Speed Issuse with Dwarves.

PICK: Orcs

Mountain trolls vs. Archers
Archers! While Mountain Trolls are one of the most powerful units in the game, Archers are the most improtant in my opinion. Two awesome archers can take down half to all your army before you can even reach them. Mountain Trolls are also Expensive, for their cost I could buy a couple of Archers or Equip Greatly one Archer.

PICK: Archers

Druids vs Witches
I don't use either of these units much. If I picked one though I would go with Druids. They are good at Lureing Animals to battle(summoning), while Witches can cause nice Status Effects to enemies. Up to individual.

PICK: Druids

Barbarians vs Mysteryarchs
THis is a tough one. I currently i'm uing a Mysteryarch. Mysterarch can use a wide array of spells and live very long. Their mana is also very High compared to Wizards or anyother Caster. On the otherhand Barbarians have High Speed and good strength. My pick would be Mysteryarch if you can afford (a bit pricey) if not just pick up some Barbarians and while main army fights run them straight to backline and hit.

PICK: Mysteryarchs

Ogres vs Wizards
I've never bought an Orge, but their strength (I believe) is second only to Mountain Trolls, while being cheaper than trolls though. Wizards are good backline units, but if you want Power and Backline Support. I would suggest getting Orges (Archers instead of Mountain Trolls) then get a Mysteryarch or Elf Mage.

PICK: Ogre

My Current Clan (Emishi Clan - Division III):
2 Minotuars
2 Rouges
2 Archers
1 Knight
1 Mysteryarch
1 Priest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clan: eternal_dragon (division I) w/ record: 9-0 season 7
Units: 6 Elves
6 Wizards
1 Drake
1 Mysteryarch
1 Black Knight
1 Minotaur
1 Druid

Aragans vs Minotaurs:
Don't really have a preference. Just like the buff minotaurs over the scaly aragans. Rolling Eyes Aragans are more expensive, but can cast basic spells such as haste and stone skin while minotaurs can only hack and slash.
PICK: Minotaurs

Knights vs Black Knights:
Black knights because they're less expensive than knights, at least in the beginning, due to the more versatile nature of black knights. But now I kind of regret choosing black knights because they simply CAN'T do magic!
PICK: Knights

Giants vs Goblins:
One question: Why were goblins ever made in the first place?! They only have one good attribute, and that's being meat shields. If you're short of gold and need to protect ONE critical unit, such as a mysteryarch, then goblins it is. However, if you're basing your army on either giants or goblins, then this is a no brainer. Giants are difficult to kill (I actually had to shoot an unarmed giant THREE times with a Taulmerit Bow to kill it) while goblins die pretty much in one hit in later stages of the game.
PICK: Giants (definitely)

Elves vs Rogues:
If you've read how my clan's laid out, you'll see why I choose elves. Their life spans are ETERNAL!!! I mean, they have ages of close to 300 years old, so you'll never have to worry about wasting 100000 gold on an elf who "retires" a year later. After signing an elf on, you've basically bought him for the remainder of the game. Also, their archery is unrivalled.
PICK: Elves

Drakes vs Centaurs:
If you have a drake and the opponent doesn't have a flying unit, they're in big trouble because ground units simply can't hurt flying units by melee. But althought drakes are the most touted unit in BON, I think once you use one, they aren't as powerful or useful as they seem. This is due to their cumbersome nature: you need to land them before they can attack, but by then, the opponent has already moved away. And drakes can't move on the ground. However, drakes win out in the end because of their brute force.
PICK: Drakes

Priests vs Imps:
I don't use either, so I can't really comment. But based on my encounters with both, priests come out as more annoying ONLY because of their single most annoying spell: magical shield. This leaves them immune to all damage and spells for 2 turns. But other than that, priests can't do much damage. Great backup unit.
PICK: Priests

Dwarves vs Orcs:
Haven't used either also, but this time, I'd recommend orcs because they're faster and also more adept with range weapons. Dwarves can't do much other than slowly crawl to their enemy and hack away. Twisted Evil
PICK: Orcs

Mountain Trolls vs Archers:
I've used archers, but not mountain trolls. Sadly, I can't compare the two because I haven't seen enough of mountain trolls to judge. But the reason I say mountain trolls are better is because archers can be replaced by the much better and versatile elves. Hence my clan's got 6 elves and NO archers. So why go for the lesser of the two?
PICK: Mountain Trolls

Druids vs Witches:
Again, I choose druids over witches simply because witches can be replaced by a more versatile unit: the wizard. While wizards have a plethora of spells to choose from, witches are very limited in their range of spells. Whereas druids are unlike any race, where they could summon tigers and bears.
PICK: Druids

Barbarians vs Mysteryarchs:
This comes as another no brainer, much like the giant vs. goblin contest. Mysteryarchs are the ultimate spellcaster while barbarians are... just big goblins. Wink The only problem usually is in finding one that you could afford.
PICK: Mysteryarchs (definitely)

Ogres vs Wizards:
If mysteryarchs are the ultimate spellcaster, then wizards are definitely the second in line. Wizards are good in any situation, other than close combat. They can heal, deal spell damage (which isn't affected by armor) and also enchant your units. I use them mainly to back up my lone mysteryarch with their combat eyes to enhance my elves shooting and their fireballs or missiles to finish off a tough unit. Ogres, on the other hand, are just a giant of a giant. Wizards are definitely needed though, if you don't have elves, mysteryarchs, or witches, since you'll need some way of dealing spell damage. Trust me on this one. Razz
PICK: Wizards

Overall:
I chose units based on their most outstanding attribute. In other words, I looked at the criterias:
Range - Elves are the outright winner. No contest.
Melee - Difficult choice between Knights and Rogues for cheap clans. Drakes are obviously the best melee fighters, but are also VERY expensive.
Spells - Mysteryarchs are the best in the game, but are rare, so I backed him up with a platoon of wizards, the most versatile spellcasters next to the mysteryarchs.
Damage Control - Drakes can TAKE alot of damage, so I sometimes use drakes for meat shields by flying him to the middle of the battlefield, where the opponent concentrates their fire on him only. But priests also help, in case your main units get injured.

Creds to Vegeta for his template Wink
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragans vs Minotaurs
I've never actually seen Aragans in my mercenary camp, so I'd go with a minotaur. Of course, I've never actually recruited either of them.

Choice: Minotaur

Knights vs Black Knights
I really dont care, I've looked through both of their stats and decided that I'll just choose whichever one I grab first in the camp. It usually tends to be a knight though.

Choice: Tie

Giants vs Goblins
Giants are really just brutes, and since I tend to like dwarves, I dont need another strong race. Goblins are also really good cannon fodder, though their skills tend to be lacking.

Choice: Goblin

Elves vs. Rogues
Elves are very good archers, though a bit low in the health department. Combined with their fair magical abilities (usually a Ranger Mage for the class), it makes me lean towards them. Of course, If I'm looking for a fairly versatile fighter I once in a while choose a rogue instead.

Choice: Elves

Drakes vs. Centaurs
I think this is a no brainer. Though Drakes are rare and expensive, they are of course the much better choice, overall. Of cours,e If you prefer numbers, go with centaurs, because they arent half bad.

Choice: Drake

Priests vs. Imps
This is a very tough choice. The imps are fairly tricky, with their spell selections and flight, yet the priests are really good for buffing up your advancing troops. However, the imp's lack of armor makes me choose priests.

Choice: Priests

Dwarves vs. Orcs
They are actualyl fairly similar, but the dwarves appeal more to me. I have a dwarf currently that is very very good with his giant axe. And I wouldnt give him up for the most skilled orc around

Choice: Dwarf

Mountain trolls vs. Archers
The trolls are just another strengthy type thing as far asd I've seen, though I havent actually used one because of that. The archers make good use of crossbows, and are a good compliment to the damage-lacking Ranger Mage elf I have.

Druids vs Witches
I like magic, but these are both magic users. THat makes it tough. However, looking through the spells, I tend to prefer summoning, so I thus go with druids.

Choice: Druids

Barbarians vs Mysteryarchs
As said before, i prefer magic, and the mysteryarchs are unmatched in their magicks. They can also summon a couple creatures and that puts them ahead even more. I'll save those fast-fighters for the losers who like fighters more than magic

Choice: Mysterarchs (by several landslides)

Ogres vs Wizards
See above, though to a lesser extent.

Choice: Wizards
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eternal dragon, drakes are meant to use breath fire, not melee attack. Wink
They are many times better with that spell and all drakes can breath fire.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went up against a Drake (only once awhile back), he never attacked my guys. He just flew around, I wasn't sure what use he was. I thought it was dumb if he could only attack air (which couldn't have been the case). Don't know maybe he was just missing :p...but after that encounter Drakes moved down my list. Crying or Very sad
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember what version of the game did that happen in? (1.021 Gold, Beta, other?)

I have encountered drakes a lot more often of course because I've had to test them and I haven't seen them not to attack since version 1.0.
If I recall correctly, there was no breath fire nor landing AI code for them in some beta versions.

Try a drake, you'll see that it's worth the gold. Wink
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, it actually might have been beta, I can't really remember. Thanks for clearing it up though, when I get a chance I'll try getting one! (Had to start over, so currently in Division 8 lol).
eternal_dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtmaVegeta wrote:
When I went up against a Drake (only once awhile back), he never attacked my guys. He just flew around, I wasn't sure what use he was. I thought it was dumb if he could only attack air (which couldn't have been the case). Don't know maybe he was just missing :p...but after that encounter Drakes moved down my list. Crying or Very sad

haha, that's actually wat I meant, when I said Drakes are way too cumbersome to use. ONLY their breathe fire is a neat trick. Other than that, I'd say I'd rather haf 2 elves with Taulmerit Bows, and for the same price too! Razz But, like u said, Tertsi, I do concede that Drakes are amazing when they DO breathe fire. Only prob is: they usually can't get into range, and when they do, the targets move away. Rolling Eyes Oh yea, did anyone notice that you could line up a few (dunno 2 or 3) targets in a straight line, and when you breathe fire on them, all of them gets damaged? It's pretty cool with double kill. Laughing
Heirophant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely impressed by mountain trolls. I will constantly restart new games in order to insure that I can begin with one of these guys. Nothing tanks quite like a troll. With the highest max strength and toughness, constant regeneration, high speed, and the ability to use a dual-wield two-handed swords, they are all you could ever want in a juggernaut. I have seen a critical from two Titan's Swords deal 140+ damage with bless and giant strength on. In fact, I recently made it to division 5 with no other units. What other race could pull that off?
Andrew Williams

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick up for the Drakes here. They are expensive, yes, and they suffer somewhat later in the game when your enemies are wearing better armour than their dragonskin (a mere 21 defence). Yet they are fast and can be given other spells than just fire-breathing. And as for enemies running away - yes, they do try and avoid lining up for those delicious double-kills, but this is perhaps the only spell of the lot that does NOT require your full turn. I believe the formula is 50% of initial move points + 1 (and, given that they normally start with about 10-12 movement points, that allows you to chase after slow moving units with impunity).

As for the expense, I've only recently given one a membership contract. Before that I had two drakes on a one-battle basis, and only brought them into play when I was up against stiff opposition (usually cup matches). Then, after the battle, I'd rehire them. It costs a lot this way but means I have some big guns and stops any of the division one teams snapping them up as well.

As for mountain trolls - big and tough, but my archers wouldn't get on with them.

[Edited due to typo]
andersonalex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take an army of elves and mysteryarchs over anything. Both live long, and mysteryarchs have a good amount of mana. Once I get at least one elf's archery up to 98 and strength up past 150, I can pretty much kill every enemy in the game in one hit, including drakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: