Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo Crashes and Has No Options.ini File

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squire Clyff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Demo Crashes and Has No Options.ini File Reply with quote

I have downloaded and installed the BoN Demo.

When I start BoN, the Main Menu appears, the mouse will not move, sound begins, the mouse becomes movable, and then I'm back to my Windows 98 Second Edition desktop, with no BoN running.

I have followed the steps in the manual.

DirectX 9.0c is installed. MGEngine.log has no errors. I cannot find any Options.ini file at all.

Hope someone can help.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please contact support@battlesofnorghan.com with the text in the MGEngine.log (even if it has no errors) and as much information as possible about your hardware and we will help you. (It’s essential to answer to these questions in the e-mail: What is your Operating System? (You answered this one already) How much Random Access Memory (RAM) do you have? What is your processor (For example, Pentium III)? What is your graphics card? (Or you can rather just run the Microsoft’s program dxdiag.exe, save the hardware information it gathered and attach the file in the e-mail message you send to support@battlesofnorghan.com.

The first thing you should try is to delete the sourcenumber.dat file from the res subfolder, located in the folder where you installed Battles of Norghan.
Squire Clyff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi,

Thanks for your reply.

I saw your suggestion about sourcenumber.dat elsewhere in the Forum Posts, and have tried that already with the same result. I also tried creating the missing Options.ini with the values "-2147483648" and then replacing that with "1" -- same result each time. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Same result with all my tries.

I will gather the MGEngine.log text and dxdiag.exe output and other system information and eMail it to you at the support address.

Thanks again,

Squire Clyff
jeff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a similar problem with the demo crashing. There is no options.ini file. I tried deleting the sourcenumber.dat file, but that didn't help. I'll e-mail you my dxdiag info as well as the other file(s) you request.

The demo never even starts up for me. No startup screen, just a message box saying there is an error in the executable.

I just upgraded my video drivers from the nvidia site and they say they support directX 9.0c, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed that you had two demo files available (install_BoN_demo_01.exe and install_BoN_demo_04.exe). I tried them both with no luck.

Thanks, jeff.
jeff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: new demo 1.01 install problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I downloaded and tried to install the new 1.01 demo. I originally just installed, without clicking the "Show Details" button on the installer, but the program wouldn't start. It's seems to get a little farther than the 1.00 demo, though.

So, I installed again and clicked the "Show Details" button, and I get a few "Invalid File Handle 32" errors. It looks like it happens when trying to create the Saves directory.

Here is the contents of the MEngine.log file when trying to run the game.

Battles of Norghan Demo version 1.01
------------------------------------
MGEngine log

Options loaded.

- Direct3D Initialization --------------------------------------
No errors...

Fonts were setup.

New BoNfiles class constructed.

First textures loaded (Notificationbox.bmp last loaded)

- DirectInput Initialization -----------------------------------
No errors...

pmsg initialized

alertboxmoney = 30;

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: new demo 1.01 install problem Reply with quote

Jeff,

I have the same problem with the full version, and your MGEngine.log file is exactly the same as mine.

Just thought you'd like to know it's not just you.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like you to know that this problem is broad enough to be my current top priority task, but the problem isn't caused directly by the program's code so it will be very hard if not nearly impossible to fix. We got through one problem just to move on to the current problem. I still think there's a fair chance that it will get fixed eventually.
Jipii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem.. My MGEngine.log:

MGEngine log

Options loaded.

No errors...

Fonts were setup.

No errors...

pmsg initialized

alertboxmoney = 30;

It never even starts. My PC specs:

AMD Thunderbird 1200MHz
Club 3D Radeon 9200SE 64MB
ABIT K*-7 (I think its KT-7 but not sure)
512MB SDRAM

--I think that's the main info.
DanSellars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to get to tthe bottom of this?

I saw the game earlier too day and decided to try it unfortunatlty I'm having the same problem. The screen goes black and chengae resolution then crashes.

The log fiel says:

Code:
MGEngine log

Options loaded.

No errors...

Fonts were setup.

No errors...

pmsg initialized

alertboxmoney = 30;

my system is
Code:

XP Pro
Athalon
1024Mb RAM
Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
Direct X 9.0c

I tried deleting the file as mention above but to no avail.

I hope you can help. It looked an interesting game. I'm gong to go and try new radeon drivers.

Kind regards,
Dan.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the weirdest problem and even though I'm dedicating some time each day to fix the problem I haven't found a working solution yet. I'll continue to work on it until it's fixed. In the meantime do try to change your desktop colour settings to 32 bit True colour (if they aren't already) and please report if it works for you.
waferthinninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Crashes for me too Reply with quote

I have the same problem - game crashes as soon as I fire it up with a "do you want to report" dialog.

My spec is
AMD 64 3.5GHz
1 gig ram
Geforce 6800 Ultra
DirectX 9.0c

I have tried in 32 bit colour (was already set to this) and no luck. Anything else worth trying? Any info you want me to send?

Log file:
Battles of Norghan Demo version 1.02
MGEngine log

Options loaded.

No errors...

Fonts were setup.

No errors...

pmsg initialized

alertboxmoney = 30;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: