Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrrt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Demo Version Reply with quote

Hi there,

I quite enjoyed the demo version so far, just a few suggestions:

- the timer that stops the demo is quite a harsh way to end the game in the middel of trying to find out how things work. I would prefer a demo wherein one can for instance only play for the first (in-game) year, or a limited competion scheme (only one division), with only a couple of different clans (for instance 4 or 5). Thus, players would be able to really play the game and really get hooked.

- No doubt that a lot of time is invested in the development of this game, however the price to buy the game is too high in my opinion. It has quite a 'retro'- look, and has to compete with quite some freely available abandonware. 20 Euro seems too much to me., I would suggest 5-10 Euro is a bit more realistic.

Anyway, all the best for the project.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timer stops the demo after 2 hours (not in the middle of a battle), by that time you should be able to have played at least through one season. The demo also expires if you're about to get in the sixth division. The standard trialware model is 1 hour timelimit, so this game also opens up the nag screen after one hour but you can still continue playing. So are you sure that you can't play the game anymore?

I don't think there are any other games with the same concept and balance. However please point me to one if you know of one.
Besides the game being new instead of abandonware, the shareware market doesn't compete with prices of old retail games. Shareware games are pretty much always $19.99 - $29.99 with a few small games as exceptions which offer like an hour or so of gameplay time without a special concept. For examples, you can find a big bunch of games in realarcade.com which offer a lot less gameplay time and yet cost $19.99. We will however probably at some point make a discount offer for our newsletter subscribers. Shareware games can't get enough exposure to be able to support the developers with a price tag of $5 or $10, unless the game took less than a month to develop.

Thank you for your feedback. Smile
Barrrt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the price, if BoN would became a hit at this price, that would prove me wrong, of course.
However, if I can buy great commercial games from a few years ago (for instance Morrowind) at 5-10 Euro's, it really does not compare in value for money. I may still buy your game because you seem a bunch of sympathetic people, though Smile

About the timer, with a demo you want to let players experience what is so great about the game, and get them hooked, right?
I did not really get to that point within these limits, especially because after the timer has run out you would have to wait three days to give it another try. By that time, most people will have found another addiction, I guess.

I just think the PR is lacking a bit from my point of view, which is a pity because it seems quite a nice game. Anyway, go ahead and proove me wrong!
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, instead of a timed version, make the demo only cover a division. That would be much more fair and hook many more people. I ahve always hated trial or timed games. Also, As said, the price is a bit high. If it was 15 bucks, id get it, but i dont have the excess money right now to pay what you're asking. And as to what you said about not geting enough exposure. Think about it this way.

Many people look over shareware games, not expecting to buy any of them because they are usually so high. And i mean lots. But they'll see this game, and realize how great it is (like me), and want to buy it, but dont have the money. Now, say you price it at half the cost, and three times the amoutn of people buy it. Worth it? Yes.
|

Also, if i could get you guys a site to have an ad place (not my own, but i could ask a few places about adspace they have), could you give it to me free? Wink
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco, it's a tested fact that independent games, even semi-hardcore games won't sell enough more copies with a lower price because of the psychological higher price = better game factor.
Even a professional independent game marketer thinks the game's price is just fine, after all it's half of a AAA game price.

Let me know how that ad-space hunting goes, even if the site is not that great because I appreciate how much you're trying just to get the game. Smile
I'll sell it to you with that $10 discount or give the game to you if something comes out of that.
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once made a game with an illegal rpgmaker and sold it to bunches of people for about 10 bucks ea.....erm, i didnt say anything *shifty eyes*

hehe jk, it was legal.

Hmm, the site i was thinking of (which i hadnt checked in a while) turned out to have the adspace filled. Um, would you give it to me if i sporte dit as my forum signature on some public forums? Wink. I go on a few of them, one on gamespot.com, one on elderscrolls.com (which would probably attract many people to it), and then another gaming forum called systemwars.com. i would also provide a link to my profile if you didnt think i had it there. please? Im sure that you'll get at least a few more customers Smile. And if not, ill just contiue looking for legitimate adspace....
falco1029
Advanced member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i put an entry in en.wikipedia.org. You guys can feel free to go there and edit it for more detail and such, and add screenshots. Anyone can edit wikipedia entries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: