Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo vs. Full version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fandango

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Demo vs. Full version Reply with quote

I have only downloaded the demo of this game and it looks like it could be fun once you can understand all the mechanics. But one thing I don't understand right now is how spell casting works. For example, if I buy a wizard at the start of my game, a couple things happen. First, I go into the magus shop (sp?) and try to buy him extra spells. It says I can't buy 'lure wolf' becuase he can't learn that spell. However it tells me nothing about what type of people can or would buy this spell so I'm kinda left in the dark. I know I want it becuase one of the computer players used it against me to kick my ass. So I say ok, he can't get 'lure wolf', I'll just use 'fireball', which is one of the lightened spells. Then I go into battle, and the only spell I can cast is 'reflection'? When I get back to my prepare screen I notice that the only spell that is in red is 'reflection', so I assume that he can only bring one spell into battle. I can't figure out how to change that spell. Next I guess that maybe only certain spells can be used in the demo version (really lame Sad ). So can someone explain how spellcasting/spellcasters works?
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All spells are enabled in the Demo version.

You can have up to 8 learnt spells per unit and they can all be used in every battle. When you select 'Browse unit's spells' from the unit options, the darkened text spells are ones which the unit can't learn while the white text spells can be learnt. The spell names which are red your unit has learnt and can use in battles. If you successfully taught a spell to your unit, it should have learnt it and the spell should be available in the battle. Please try to teach the spell to the unit again by selecting the unit, then the spell and then click 'Buy item'. You should then see a confirmation box and click the Check-mark. If you see a notification box or click X, you won't buy the item.

Each race has its own selection of spells available to make each race be used in its own way, for example the most powerful mages, mysteryarchs can cast nearly all spells while human knights can only learn a couple of basic spells like Minor healing and some spells can only be cast by one race.
For now, you can see what race can cast what by going in the Mercenary camp and selecting units and clicking 'Browse spells' near the Offer contract text. All units of one race have the same spells enabled (this means that they can learn the spells), but some mercenaries have already learnt spells or are better at casting certain spells than others.

I really thank you for notifying me that the spell mechanics aren't intuitive to everyone. The next version's manual and 'normal tutorial' will also tell about them. The next version's tutorial will also tell you more about the actual detailed mechanics, but till then I suggest you to also take a look at the manual as there are some other mechanics explained there already.
fandango

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining that. That was my biggest question and probably the only thing stopping from buying this game. I plan on getting the full version later today. For now my demo has run out so I will have to ask you questions about the game instead of being able to try them out.

Another thing that I had trouble with was inbattle stats. For example, when one of my characters takes a hit, is it possible to see how much damage was done to them, and vice versa? (I read in the manual about a battle events bar but havn't been able to try it out yet, does it serve the type of functions I'm asking about?). Also, when someone attacks, a sound plays and maybe a graphic of some blood if its a hit, but how do I tell the difference between a hit and a critical hit? There seems to be at least four different sounds that can play, and so far its just been guessing what each one means. "That time the guy let out a scream, so I guess that was a crit...?" things like that are going through my mind while doing the battles. Also, the icons at the top left aren't all quite self explanatory. For example, one of them makes a little star and 0 appear at the characters feet. I have no idea what purpose this could serve. I also wonder if trees have any effect on actual mechanics or not, so that if there is a tree between the enemy and my archer, is it harder to hit the enemy? Another question, how does orientation effect attacks? If I have 1 character fighting 1 enemy, and I am able to send my second character so that he is standing directly behind the enemy, will damage/hit% increase? Are there any other differences between races besides stats, spells, and starting weapon skills? Orges for example look alot larger than other races, and goblins look rather small, but is this just a material difference or does size have any effect on battle mechanics?

Thats all I can think of for now, thanks putting up with my questions. Your game is pretty complex at the start but it seems like once I understand how things work it will be alot of fun.
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle events bar will show how much damage a unit takes along with loads of other useful and/or interesting information like hitting chances. You can show/hide it by pressing the hotkey E or by clicking the icon right next to the 'X' back to main menu icon in the top left battle User Interface bar.

Clicking the star icon will hide or display star points of each unit in the battle. Please read the section about star points in the manual for more information about star points.

Trees don't currectly effect shooting missing chances.
Orientation doesn't effect attacks, as the units will turn automatically to face the enemy when you attack.

The size of a unit doesn't have direct effect on battle mechanics, but it does effect on how the statistics were designed for that race so you could say that it does effect battle mechanics.
In addition to what you mentioned each race has it's own background story which you can read in-game and they each have their own chance of appearing in the Mercenary camp. Some races also have racial attributes, like the ability to fly or not be able to wear heavy armours.
There are 11 different racial attributes: 200% mana recovery rate (mysteryarchs and drakes), ability to fly (drakes), ability to fly over obstacles but the need to land before next turn (imps), regeneration (+1 HP recovered per the unit's turn, only mountain trolls have regeneration without modding), dragonskin which grants the unit 22 head and torso defence (drakes), the ability to wear two handed sword in one hand (only the strongest races in the game), rangers get a 25% penalty when shooting at the unit (drakes and imps), not being able to wear heavy armours (physically weak races), not being able to wear equipment (drakes), not being able to wear armours (centaurs), not being able to wear armours nor helms (imps).
CustodianV131

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info!

Manual could use a big update. Its pretty skimpy/unclear atm imo.

Iíll be sure to post any question Iíve here.

At least the response time is great!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my questions. I've been playing your game for the last few days and it's alot of fun now that I know how everything works. Working on 1st division now. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: