Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BON,indie games, suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: BON,indie games, suggestions Reply with quote

I'm having a great time with BON. Hoping that there is a sequel or an expansion (there was some hint about a sequel in another post). I'd pay $10 for more units, equipment and spells (as an addon, I'd pay full price for a sequel -- just to clarify). Any ideas on how well it's sold?

I'm loving indie games right now. I've been cycling between Weird Worlds, New Star Soccer 3, Democracy and BON for the last three weeks and I wish I had more time to play. I also have Dominions II, Space Empires IV and Gal Civ II as far as other installed independent games go. I preordered Dom III and I'm not sure if I'm going to do the same with Space Empires V. And freeware offerings like Battle for Wesnoth are making my gaming life even more crowded. The only major releases on my hard drive are Civ IV (big civ fan, but haven't played it more than twice after the above games). I was excited about HOMM V but then I played the demo and thought "aaaaa.. it's no BON". I also bought Space Rangers 2 which I downloaded from direct2drive a few weeks ago. I've been too busy to even fire it up more than once. I hope indie games are the future because I'm liking them more and more than the major releases.

My suggestions for the next version of BON (these might be mentioned elsewhere, but I want to put in my seperate vote for them):

1 Allow different opposed groups (giants and goblins) to be in the same team but make there some chance that they will attack each other instead of the other team and make them more expensive to recruit.

2 More units

3 More spells

4 Support higher resolutions

5 With the sports motif, have a cup or a mode where you are limited to a fixed number of units at the beginning of the battle. Then allow a few fixed number of substitutions during the battle.

6 Make spying more expensive based on division or have a chance that the results are wrong.

7 More on the sports motif: Injuries and fatigue (playing in every battle can wear you down)

8 Wrestling Idea: Battle Royale!!!!!!!!! (Have to make sure the player participates by having the winner some combo of star points and the order the teams drop out)

9 Unique items as prizes that you can earn and sell in the market and other clans can buy. I.e. Ginsui knife of Aluminum Can Cutting for $29 + a free utility knife.

10 item degradation: That axe is getting pretty used up.

11 optional salary cap.

12 Maybe some rivalry between units with high star points on the same and opposite teams (limiting target to rival on other team, disobeying orders to compete with another team member)

Things not to include:

Free agency, endorsements, tax payer funded stadiums, halflings/hobbits...
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions and support.

Because the game is 2D, we would have to stretch or re-design every image to support higher resolutions. However with the possible sequel's windowed mode option you could play with any resolution but the window would be 800x600.

I'd like to hear more opinions about the injuries. I know it has worked before but it can get annoying to get your best units injured. Currently you just pay more to resurrect units which took more damage below zero. This would also mean that the gladiators would no longer die and instead become injured for 1 - 5 battles. This would probably also have to take off resurrection fees.
mtk

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions and support.

Because the game is 2D, we would have to stretch or re-design every image to support higher resolutions. However with the possible sequel's windowed mode option you could play with any resolution but the window would be 800x600.

I'd like to hear more opinions about the injuries. I know it has worked before but it can get annoying to get your best units injured. Currently you just pay more to resurrect units which took more damage below zero. This would also mean that the gladiators would no longer die and instead become injured for 1 - 5 battles. This would probably also have to take off resurrection fees.

I'd rather have a newer version sooner than higher resolution support so no big deal.

I think i just depends on how "real" you want things to be. Neglecting the fact that minotaurs, wizards and elves etc. do not exist, sports injuries are important and can affect the game and a teams standings. Similarly so does fatigue and also in this game the condition of your equipment.

I think these three ideas (injuries, fatigue, item degradation) add a new dimesion to BON that while may be frustrating at times, makes the whole game more exciting. Getting nearly killed every battle, being in every battle, getting your armor whacked repeatedly or whacking things with you weapons repeatedly should have some consequences. Of course it's difficult to resolve since there are healing spells but if I can suspend disbelief enough to be rooting for my minotaur as if it's a favorite athelete in real life, I can tolerate injuries that can't be healed with a simple spell (maybe mental issues?). I think it increases the replayability of the game and gets people to adjust their tactics more.

What did you think about my idea for a "royal rumble" Imagine all the teams in a division in the same battle! Total free for all with no where to hide. Teams might gang up on the uber team in any given division and finally beat those suckers. I stopped watching wrestling when I was 12, but they do have some ideas that would translate great into BON.

Also the idea for a mode where you are limited in the number of people on a team but are allowed a few subs. Throw in some different personalities for the AI team managers?

The game is great as is and while I'd love to see all of these implimented as options, as long as a new version is coming out Ill be happy.
mtk

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: On higher resolutions Reply with quote

One other thought on the higher resolutions. Would it be possible to leave everything (text, icons, sprites) the same pixel resolution and just see more of the battle map when using a higher resolution? I set my laptop to not scale images to fill the screen and I've been playing BON since I got it this way and I'm fine with the size of the icons/character models. If all you did at a higher resolution was increase the amount of the battle map you can view, that would be fine. Would that be alot of effort?
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would mean that the resolution would constantly have to change when switching from menus to battle and vice versa. So you can't just have a higher resolution in battles only.
SpiderJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Indie game suggestions Reply with quote

Jumping in here with a few indie game suggestions for the original poster an anyone else who cares to look:

Oasis which has won some fame in the indie community. Fantastic turn based strategy that you can find at playfirst.com . Kinda reminds me of Weird Worlds in a board game come to life way, and because it takes a huge topic and makes it quick and fun.

Kudos, from the guy that made Democracy. A life sim - you're a guy or gal, 20 years old, you have a crappy job and you have to go from there. Turn based, every turn is a day, and similair to Democracy in that it's very stat-based but most of the stats are invisible. I'm enjoying it but it's tough! But, hey, that's life...

BreakQuest is THE best arkanoid type game I've ever played. Oh, I'm going to stop typing - if anyone wants to chat indie games, I'm up for it.

spider
tomlasten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved reading all these suggestions. My favorite has to be allowing different parties within the same group but having the chance that they attack each other like a bad blood feud or something similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Player reviews, critiques and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: