Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 1.1 version's changes from the 1.056 version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: The 1.1 version's changes from the 1.056 version Reply with quote

This is a major update and changes so many things in the game that it is recommended to start a new game after installing this version of the game, although it is not necessary.

Fixed a potential game crash at start-up problem. The game now creates the user data folders if they do not exist. If they were missing the game crashed at start-up. This happened if you installed the game as a non-admin user.

Fixed a potential bug in the 1.056 version of the game that could make the game window in rare occasions become unresponsive and hang.

AI controlled clans will now make sure that at least half of their melee units have light armor.

Increased speed of earth elementals by 1 and their hitting chance by 20 points.

Increased hitting chance of Cerberus by 10 points.
Increased hitting chance of Tigers and Bears by 5 points.

Improved management AI. Especially for levels 3 and 4:
AI controlled clans with AI levels 3 and 4 (out of 4) now favor upgrading weapons vs. Upgrading armor. They will also from now on buy equipment and spells for their units before deciding whether they have enough money to recruit new mercenaries or not, and buy equipment to the units with the highest base cost (skills and attributes) first instead of highest toughness (skills and attributes + equipment). AI level 4 clans will from now on also hold back on buying the most expensive armours for all but their top units until they have at least 22 units. These clans will also no longer spend more than 3000 gp on a melee weapon for rangers unless they have more than 24 units.

Rival races are now clearly written in the pages with the stories of races.

Improved AI's melee, spell and shooting target picking in battles.

Fixed a bug in the AI's helmets upgrading code that often resulted in the helm not chosen to be upgraded when it should have been.

AI will no longer buy cheap bows to ranger mages nor will they buy staves with any magic bonus in them that would just get unused.

Starting values of dodging of imps and centaurs increased.

The damage of Tear from Inside is no longer affected by magic resistance. Only the success chance of casting it is.

Reduced the range of Magic Missile to 27 from 30.

Improved training AI a little. Especially that now rangers should train to have enough strength to buy the highest quality missile weapon.

AI will no longer cast blizzard or fire storm if there are too few enemy targets.

Starting intelligence and maximum intelligence of Goblins, Orcs, Minotaurs, Aragans, Mountain trolls and Ogres increased.

Added information to the game manual.

You can no longer offer 1 5 battle contracts to mercenaries that have a longer-term contract offer already. This prevents some unfair recruiting tricks.

Improved Drake AI. They are now formidable opponents as they should be.

Season's battles screen now correctly displays the amount of money you received from a battle if your winning money gold percentage was not set to 100% when starting the game.

All clans that did not win their division now receive 1500 gold as a survival bonus at the end of the game's year on game modes B and C.

Maximum starting spell bonus of stone skin was increased for Dwarves but they can no longer cast Cure.

Rogues, Knights and Black Knights had their average starting spell bonuses increased.
Rogues also lost the ability to learn the minor healing spell.

Imps had their average Confuse and summon Cerberus starting spell bonus increased. (+ Fire bolt and Fire ball a little bit.)

Other spells affecting a unit are now displayed properly after a Cure or Negate spell affected the unit.

Witches had their average Drain mana starting spell bonus increased by a lot.

Mercenaries will no longer have spells with less than 30 SB points pre-learnt before being recruited for the first time.

Increased the range of most short bows. Added 5 hitting chance bonus points to cheap bows.

With harder difficulty settings most of the bottom divisions' AI clans used to offer one year's contract for every mercenary in the beginning of the game on game mode B. Now they will averagely do about 50% membership contracts and 50% one year contracts at the start of the game and only membership contracts after that. Except the AI controlled clans named Gorniat's Mercenaries and Feriton's Mercenaries which always only offer 1 year contracts.

Ensured that AI clans will no longer fail to recruit 4 units in the beginning on game mode B.

There can now be a maximum of 300 units in the mercenary camp instead of 200.

Made the rare races a little less rare.

An AI controlled clan that has a lot of money will no longer stop buying equipment etc. Just because they have enough money to recruit new mercenaries. This bug usually affected only the #1 AI clan in the game.

It now takes 75+ turns without kills (20 more than before), before the auto cast thunder storms begin.
AI will no longer train any unit to have the thunder storm spell and no newly created unit will have learnt it.
These changes make thunder storms in the game very rare unless a human controlled clan chooses to use it.

Improved AI's logic about when to cast the following spells: sleep, pray, confuse, slow, reflection, magical shield.

AI controlled clans with AI levels 3 and 4 out of 4 now have less desire to buy reflection or magical shield spells.

And other small changes.

Last edited by Tertsi on Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm; edited 5 times in total
Changelor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very interesting. I m looking forward to trying out the new version!

I like many balancing decisions. Some I don't know. I do not understand why summing creatures tiger and bears are buffed. In my eyes a druid is pretty strong in the starting game because of any of the 3 animal summons.
This is just my thought. But you may have done much more testing than my play experience.

I would appreciate the following documentation improvements:

1.) Magic resistance: Please explain how it works. To my understanding it reduces the damage of spells like magic missile proportionally (so magic resistance of 100 - which is not available - would reduce the damage to 0), correct?
For debuff Spells which dont do damage the magic resistance lowers the casting chance, (so if the normal chance of casting is 60% and the magic resistance is 20 the casting chance is 40% in the end) correct?
Magic resistance is irrelevant for friendly spells like buffs, cure or heal, correct?
Does Magic Resistance work vs thunderstorm?

2.) I now understand the difficulty settings but I did not when I read the in game text for the first few times. Maybe explain better what it means that "AI values are maxed" etc. (at first I never dared play that because I thought that all the mercenaries of the AI got max attributes)

3.) Are the attribute values in the files provided with the game really the range of the attributes? In year 2 I encountered an AI aragan with strength 30 which seemed scary. The strongest other big guys had like 21 Strength. I don't know if this was a bug or if the AI trained that guy but such a guy does not really fit into 7th division imho.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The casting success chance of some spells such as Tear from Inside, Bad Luck, Sorrow etc. are reduced by the Magic Resistance of the target. However, the average magic resistance of the races is added to the success chance to compensate for that. And your understanding about the magical damage reduction is correct. Magic resistance does not work against thunder storm. Magic resistance is irrelevant for friendly spells.

2). Thanks for that feedback. The game now explains the difficulties in a clearer way at game start.

3) They can go over those values by a few points but an Aragan with 30 strength should be impossible without a mod and I have never seen an Aragan anywhere close to such strength. Did you use the spy feature or how did you find out his strength?

That lure tiger + lure bear buff is very minor.. And was meant to make them a bit more useful against well trained melee fighters. A druid is indeed a good choice for the beginning of the game whereas a witch might be better late game.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the email today about this and I could not be more excited. I spoke with you briefly via email years ago about this game and my love for it some time after I changed computers and needed a new key.

Also, I don't care anything about transferring that ownership to Steam. I will gladly pay you again as I still remember this game fondly and have looked for something similar since that has the choices, simplicity and fun which BoN gave me.

I started a thread at one of my favorite gaming forums. So hopefully it will drum up additional interest.

http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/battles-of-norghan-by-mitorah-games-circa-a-long-time-ago.10148/
Tertsi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your support Tyjenks! I keep on updating the game from time to time mostly because I too play this game still. Smile I wish I had submitted it to steam long time ago.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi wrote:
Thanks a lot for your support Tyjenks! I keep on updating the game from time to time mostly because I too play this game still. Smile I wish I had submitted it to steam long time ago.

Bah, no worries. I also found a semi-ancient thread where I promoted the game at my other favorite forum (quartertothree) and I resurrected that one.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?33275-Battle-of-Norghan-turn-based-team-management-game&p=3995275#post3995275

I would like to re-install on my current desktop before it gets released on Steam. Do I need to PM you? I can still be contacted at the email associated with my forum account here.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!
I emailed you the username and password to download the game.
Let me know if you don't receive the e-mail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: