Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steam release?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leroy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Steam release? Reply with quote

I bought the game nearly 9 years ago, nice to see development has been revived! I played it until I could beat it with tons of low level mages due to some longe range spell if I remember correctly. But anyway, the concept of team building + arena + turnbased combat is still pretty rare if not unique.

So would you consider to release the game on steam and maybe give keys to existing users? Meanwhile I run all my games from steam. Also I've seen some other indie developers relasing their "lifetime" games to steam too.

Last edited by leroy on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not easy to get games on steam and it costs $100. I would need like 6000 - 10000 up votes to get the game greenlit and the process takes months. I have been thinking to give it a try anyway but I will need all the support from you guys that I can get.
discoinfero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this game a long time ago and also have very fond memories of it. Was one of my very favorite games. Every couple of years I have a flash thought about it and wonder why if it was ever updated, remade, or just in general if the genre this game pioneered didn't just take off like wildfire. Maybe because right around this time tide was changing and the stupification of gaming as an art was getting underway with commercial console-oriented titles and fewer, bigger publishers started dominating the scene.

The timing for this to catch on when it was released was just bad -- the tide was pulling out and publishers and gamers were being herded towards linear mindless drivel which could be played with four buttons and wasn't too complicated. Mass market focus with simple mechanics and a graphics-above-all-else mindset was just coming into vogue. I remember those dark days when "turn-based" and "squad management" and "deep strategy" were like four-letter words and there was like nothing to pick from for several years.

But the tide has changed. Common sense and a diverse base of gamers who know what they want is in vogue again. As the first poster said this game fits a killer niche. You should go for it.
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely up-vote for steam. Already put it as a non-steam game to launch just for convenience.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad my voice isn't exactly that of a public speaker so I'd have trouble making a decent promotional video, as evidenced by this youtube video that I made today that's trying to act as a video tutorial. I am more likely than not going to put it up on steam greenlight anyway.
Changelor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like music in all those game videos and would prefer it to be switched off. If I want music I play my own one together with the game or video, but that may not be the majority view.

If you want to keep music I would try to reduce the music volume as the sound quality is rather poor and your voice is impeded by music and general background noise.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will probably simply shut off the mic for the promo video so that there would not be my voice nor the background noise.
confab

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a GOG.com release? Feel like the kind of gamers who shop at GOG would be interested in Norghan.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to put it up on GOG but they refused to add it. At least in Steam greenlight actual players will vote on whether it gets there or not.
confab

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi wrote:
I tried to put it up on GOG but they refused to add it. At least in Steam greenlight actual players will vote on whether it gets there or not.

That's really surprising and disappointing. I wonder if GamersGate would publish it? This game deserves a wider audience.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like some quick feedback on this video: https://youtu.be/-TdFuAHwHqU. I have the choice to use my voice for the introduction or make a new version of it where I don't add my voice and only have the music on while navigating the menus.

I also made a video without my voice over:
https://youtu.be/F-xY7LfUiO4

I am testing which one gets more yes vs. no votes vs. views on steam greenlight.

Last edited by Tertsi on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Tertsi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is up for voting now at Steam Greenlight!
Please vote for it at: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731664302

Last edited by Tertsi on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
AtmaVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just voted yes. Hopefully gets Greenlight!
Tertsi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks impossible to get it to top 100 without gaming the system unfortunately (which isn't cheap unless you have a ton of steam friends which I don't.. and would probably end up costing more money than the potential sales after it is on steam). top 50 games there averagely get 16x as many views. I assume that it needs to get to top 100 to make it.
leroy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through my old mails and it seems I missed the steam notification about that game now beeing on Greenlight and the original link was dead meanwhile. Did you try it a second time? Anyway, found it and voted for it. Good luck. Smile

Btw. don't worry too much about your "voice acting skills". The last video you put on youtube is MUCH better because of exactly what was said here already. The sound quality is better, no background noise, music turned down. I'd say this what most important unless people in your real life usually also get instant headache due to an unbearable voice when you start talking. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: