Forums

Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com

1.12 version released in October 2016!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't view division rankings or cup tables
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methehand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Can't view division rankings or cup tables Reply with quote

I forgot about this game for six months or so and just installed the 1.025 patch. Every time I click on Division rankings or Cup tables, the game crashes to desktop. I'm using XP pro with 1 GB RAM and an Athlon 64 3000+. Anyone else having this problem?
Tertsi
Mitorah Games Studio Head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try increasing the Windows page file size to over 1 GB if it isn't already. How To here

How much graphics card memory do you have?

I think someone has had that problem before 1.025 and contacted support but it is very rare.

Can you alt + tab (go to desktop, then get back to the game) just fine?

Last edited by Tertsi on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:44 am; edited 2 times in total
methehand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a 256MB GF 7600GS and about a gig and a half of virtual memory. When I hit alt-tab, the game immediately crashes. I installed the game on my laptop instead, and it works fine.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the demo and had not completed a draft. I alt-tabbed and had a crash to desktop.
Also, again prior to starting, clicked on the cups menu option and it crashed.

I would very much like to try the game, but I am hesitant if it is timed, I may have wasted a lot fiddling with the draft and then have had to start over twice.

Some info:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
RADEON 9800 SERIES 128.0 MB

Thanks,
Tyler
Tertsi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of the demo do you have?

You can check this by either launching the game (and it displays it in the main menu) or by going to the folder where Battles of Norghan is installed and opening the .log file.

If it is not 1.025, please download the newer version at http://www.battlesofnorghan.com/DownloadBattlesofNorghan.html

Other than this and the above 'Please try increasing Windows page file size to over 1 GB if it isn't already' advise I can't come up with any other reason why it would do that.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 1.025.

Now that it has expired, I clicked the "maybe later" option, it minimized the game, and then crashed.

I will try increasing the page file size and let you know the results.

Thanks.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried increasing the page file size to no avail. Not sure what could be causing it.

I was able to play a couple of matches before my time ran out, so I may just take you up on your money-back guarantee offer next weekend.
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I came up with more possible solutions:

Try opening the options.ini file (found in the folder where Battles of Norghan is installed) and setting Refreshrate to 60 instead of 0 and PresentationInterval to 2147483648 instead of 1

Try running the game with Windows Administrator rights if you haven't already.

I guess there's also a slight chance that you have DirectX 9.0c but just an earlier version of it so you might want to try making sure you have the latest DirectX at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en

Please make sure you can find the font Dwarven Stonecraft (DWARVESC.TTF) on your Windows Fonts folder which could be C:\WINNT\Fonts. If it is not there, please report here so I can help you further.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I will try those things when I get home from work.

Thanks Tertsi
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, I realize this does not help, but I just installed on my laptop just to see how it did. I alt-tabbed from the opening screen and it crashed on me.

Specs are a bit different from my desktop PC:

3.6Ghz
512MB RAM
Radeon X300
Tertsi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really looks like it is an out of virtual memory problem. So perhaps you have the page file set to a hard disk partition that is almost full or at least has less than 1.5 GB empty space.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tertsi wrote:
OK, I came up with more possible solutions:

Try opening the options.ini file (found in the folder where Battles of Norghan is installed) and setting Refreshrate to 60 instead of 0 and PresentationInterval to 2147483648 instead of 1

Did this one. Still crashed

Quote:
Try running the game with Windows Administrator rights if you haven't already.

Not sure what this is, but will figure it out

Quote:
I guess there's also a slight chance that you have DirectX 9.0c but just an earlier version of it so you might want to try making sure you have the latest DirectX at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en

I had 9.0c, but ran this to make sure I had the latest.

Quote:
Please make sure you can find the font Dwarven Stonecraft (DWARVESC.TTF) on your Windows Fonts folder which could be C:\WINNT\Fonts. If it is not there, please report here so I can help you further.

I do have this.

I had set my page file size to 2000 from 1500, which was the Windows "recommended" setting for my 1GB of RAM.

Just to sum up:

Each time I test this, I open the game, it states that my time has expired and I then click the "maybe later" option. I am taken out of the program to the "So you decided not to buy Battles of Norghan..." page and then BoN crashes and I get the error message to send to Microsoft for reporting. It has also happened when I alt-tab.

EDIT: One more thing. It seems it minimizes fine without crashing, however, once the Internet Explorer page opens up, then it encounters an error and closes BoN down. Or I could be imaging things. Smile
Tertsi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep but it doesn't matter whether you have 10 GB or 2 GB as the page file size if there's not enough disk space in the partition which the page file uses. By default that is C:\ so please check that there's enough space in C:\

If for example you have 200 MB free space on C:\ and you haven't changed the setting to use another partition, your true page file size is 200 MB or less.

When alt-tabbing the game has to push some stuff from graphics memory to virtual memory and thus memory usage increases. This is why I think this is the most likely reason.

Thank you for your patience.
Tyjenks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you for your timely responses. I don't mind detailing stuff here at all as the game intrigues me. Just want to straighten all this out in case others run into it and, also, if you are working on a sequel that could benefit from any techinical issues I have run into.

I have a fairly large hard drive that has always had plenty of room, but have entered a lot of MMORPG Betas as of late, so I guess it could be filling it up.

I'll check and see. I am afraid I know just enough about computers to know, generally, what you are talking about, but not enough to give you enough information. Wink
Tertsi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inactively working on Battles of Norghan 2 designing it and it'll use a very broadly compatible game engine. It will take some time before we'll start to really work on it though and while it's very likely that we'll develop it, it is not 100% sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums of BattlesofNorghan.com Forum Index -> Help and technical support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: